I was doing a little domain research and ran across some really funny stuff in the Full Tilt Poker domain portfolio. I’ll run down the list…
- First, they own domains for names of players who are pros at other poker sites: adamlevypoker.com, andreakkaripoker.com, etc. I’m sure I didn’t find all of them.
- Second, they own domains for the names of people they’ve publicly out as multi-accounters and banned from their site: sorelmizzi.net, chrisvaughnpoker.com, nickneirgarthpoker.com (gbmantis was banned too, right?). I didn’t see any JJProdigy domains in their list though…
- Third, they own domains that are misspellings/typo domains for other poker sites: ansolutepoker.com, hallywoodpoker.com and maybe more.
- Fourth, they own domains for a lot of poker players who aren’t Full Tilt sponsored players: joewardpoker.com, terrencechanpoker.net, carterkingpoker.com, mattmatrospoker.com, etc. And is terrencechanpoker.net really worth anything? I mean, sure Terrence is a great player, nice guy, etc… but a .net? Wow.
- Fifth. Last but not least. They own jimmyfrickepoker.com. AHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yes, as in the person that Howard Lederer called a “freak and a very weird dude“
Anyway, Full Tilt is obviously over-stepping the boundaries of “ethical” domaining practices here. I know that some of the people (ie, Carter King) might be people that they were/are in negotiations with to sign a pro deal. In that case, doing this makes sense. But typos? Pros for other sites? People they’ve banned and now could potentially profit from? That doesn’t seem fair.
Since I’m sure this post will end up in the hands of Full Tilt execs, I’d also like to let you guys know that Costa Rica is accepting domain registrations for .cr domains. You can register them here. As of the writing of this post (12/10/2008 @ 10:30 pm CST), fulltiltpoker.cr is still available. Let’s see if Full Tilt can beat one of my enterprising blog readers to that domain.