Aruba time

After a relatively uneventful week in Cayman I’m shipping right back out to Aruba tomorrow. I had a fun time last year and I’m looking forward to it again this year. The location is really nice and it’s a pretty laid back experience. Hopefully it doesn’t disappoint.

My week in Cayman, while uneventful, was also kind of disappointing. My half-marathon training plans were derailed because I had a bunch of sinus problems starting Sunday night after I got back. For the whole week I was dealing with either a runny nose or severe congestion (ie, couldn’t breathe through my nose at all). Maybe it was some sort of bacterial infection or just a bad case of allergies… I’m not sure. I know that it started almost immediately after getting a noseful of saltwater after taking a spill doing some watersports. I was so miserable the first few days of the week I actually made a doctor appointment for today to see if there was anything I could do. He prescribed a few meds… Nasonex, some antibiotic and also some strong antihistamine (it has pseudoephedrine in it, might cause some problems with my sleep cycle). We’ll see how it goes. I’m really hoping I don’t get any sinus cavity headaches on the plane tomorrow. I’ve blogged about those types of headaches before and I think it’s fair to say that, in terms of physical ailments, I fear them more than anything else that is non-life-threatening. We’ll see how it goes but I am more cleared up today so hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I also played some touch football last night despite the nose/breathing problems. It was a really fun time even though I got less exercise than I would have hoped for — next time I need to run more I guess. After about an hour of relatively uneventful play, I was blocking for the QB (they allowed instant rushes from 10 paces away) and I took a really hard knee to the shin. I was in really bad pain for about 60-90 seconds before it started to subside a bit. At first I couldn’t even walk. My shin instantly grew a bump sticking out over a centimeter and we all agreed I should put some ice on it. I went and bought some ice from a gas station across the street and then sat out for about 30 minutes before deciding to come back. The swelling had already gone down and I was able to run near full-speed. I went to bed expecting to find a large bump in the morning along with a bruise but I was pleasantly surprised to see that it’s really only a relatively small bump now. It’s tender to the touch but it isn’t really bothering me that badly so I don’t anticipate it causing any problems for me in Aruba. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back on the running grind while I’m there. I’m also hoping I didn’t lose too much fitness by taking a week off from serious aerobic activity.

Looking forward to waking up to this on Sunday…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>